The Masters joined a long list of sporting events that have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic when it was postponed Friday amid fears of spreading COVID-19 at a large public gathering.
Here’s what else has been canceled, postponed or adjusted as of Friday:
- After originally planning for upcoming races to be held without spectators, NASCAR officially decided to postpone the race events at Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend and the Homestead-Miami Speedway next weekend. In a statement posted to Twitter, NASCAR wrote its decision was “in the best interest of the safety and well-being of our fans competitors, officials and everyone associated with our sport.”
- The Premier League suspended its season until April 3 at the earliest following an emergency meeting Friday. The decision came after other high-profile soccer leagues, such as Champions League and Europa League announced their suspensions of play.
- The 124th running of the Boston Marathon was postponed from April 20 to Sept. 14 due to the virus outbreak.
- The NTT IndyCar Series postponed all events through the end of April, beginning with the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, which had been set to take place Friday in Florida.
- The Kentucky Derby, which is scheduled for its 146th running on May 2, is set to run as planned, but organizers released a statement saying they are monitoring the situation.
- In college athletics, the ACC and Big Ten have enforced a conference-wide suspension of activities until April 6. Baylor has halted all activities until March 23, while Notre Dame, Kent State, Cincinnati and USC have done the same indefinitely.
- The United States Tennis Association suspended all events, including Adult and Junior Tournaments, League Tennis and Junior Team Tennis, through April 20. In a statement, the USTA expressed its goal to “reschedule events where possible following this suspension period.”
- Two days after the NBA suspended its season indefinitely, USA Basketball canceled all its further events as well. Those events include the 2020 Nike Hoop Summit and the 2020 Red Bull USA Basketball 3x Nationals.